Frankrijk ligt in het midden van de hittekoepel. Wij hier in Nederland zitten onder de noordrand ervan. Het is warm. Mijn weerstation gaf vanmiddag 33,2°C aan en nu is het zelfs nog warmer: 34°C.
En precies vandaag besloot mijn witte ijsbloem zich te openen.
Toen ik hem op Instagram deelde, reageerde iemand: “Oh, dus deze bloem geeft aan wanneer het tijd is om ijs te eten 😂”
Dat vond ik zo grappig.
Eigenlijk heeft deze plant helemaal niets met ijs te maken. De naam komt van de glinsterende puntjes op de vlezige blaadjes en stengels. Het lijkt net alsof er ijskristalletjes op zitten.
Botanisch weetje:
Die “ijskristalletjes” zijn opgezwollen opperhuidcellen. Ze kunnen vocht vasthouden en helpen de plant omgaan met felle zon, droogte en warmte.
Grappige bloemen: zodra de zon schijnt, gaan ze open. Bij zonsondergang sluiten ze weer. Ik ga proberen daar een timelapse van te maken.
Oh, en hieronder een foto van toen ze nog in hun babyfase waren. Ergens links in het hoekje. Ik zaaide ze zelf en was erg lief voor ze. Water geven enzo.Kun je je voorstellen: toen had ik nog een dikke wintertrui aan. 👆
Nu niet.
Nu draag ik katoen.
Hieronder eerst een foto de verkeerde kant op.
En daaronder één waarop je de ijskristalletjes goed ziet.
Ken jij deze plant?
In het Engels heet hij Livingstone daisy volgens Wikipedia, maar ik vind ice plant veel mooier. Alleen al vanwege die glinsterende “ijskristalletjes”.
👉 Doe ook mee met Nicoles Huisvlijt Linkparty





Dear Aritha, it's hot here too. Usually around 35C, but I've had 52C on my sunny balcony several times. Of course, it was in sunshine. I'm waiting for autumn right now, and sometimes I wipe my forehead while I do it.:)
BeantwoordenVerwijderenThe flower is very nice and the name is worthy of it. How different a beautiful, almost poetic name is from the scientific explanation of why it's called that.
You took care of it, planted, raised it, and it thanked you after all! With love. Éva
I still have to write: You are very nice!
VerwijderenI do not know that plant, but I like it. So unique!
VerwijderenI am not familiar with this flower, but it is so interesting!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenHere in the UK many areas are experiencing extreme hot weather.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenI like that flower.
All the best Jan
It is a beautiful plant!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenSo sweet. A lovely post! :)
BeantwoordenVerwijderenThe plant is a beauty. Stay cool!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenBeautiful photos! It's amazing how nature adapts to the heat.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenThe plant and flower are pretty! Love the photos. Take care, have a great day!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenWhat a beautiful flower! And to have an "Ice Flower" open up and bloom so beautifully when it is so very warm there is very refreshing! I would call it a gift from God! It can make you feel cooler even when it isn't. I had to look up your temperature to find out what it is in our method of measurement, which is Fahrenheit, and 33 degrees Celsius is 91.4 degrees F. So yes, that is HOT. However, for us here in Florida where I live, 91 degrees F is about average for us in the summer. Today's high should be about 93, and yesterday was 95, so yes, it has been quite warm here as well. It is amazing to see beautiful flowers bloom in such heat. However, they do wilt quickly if not kept watered. Thankfully we've had some kind of rain almost every day lately...not a lot, but at least enough to water the plants for me so I don't have to go out in the heat to do it! Take care and stay as cool as you can.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenHoi Aritha.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenMooie bloem.
Groettie van Patricia.
What a beautiful flower! It's terribly hot there!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenWhat a wonderful flower. Thank you for visiting my Blog. Please call again.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenGod bless.
I've not seen this flower before but it sure is beautiful!!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenThank you for the kind words you left on my blog. :)
What a pretty flower. It's not one I am familiar with.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenHello Aritha,
BeantwoordenVerwijderenThe Ice Flower is very pretty and how timely of it to bloom in the midst of a heat wave. I do hope the heat dome dissipates soon and cooler temperatures make the days more bearable. Wearing cotton or linen is the best in summer, I find. I'm going to look up the Livingstone Daisy and see if it's available here in Canada. Stay cool.
Haha, ja tijd voor ijs! Dat is zeker!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenAnd now I want ice cream, ha ha! Thank you for the information on this beautiful flower and your photos are lovely. Very interesting! I enjoyed your other photos also. It is 31 degrees C. here and is supposedly going to be 38 degrees C. for two days towards the end of next week. I hope you get cooler temperatures very soon.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenMooi die ijsbloem. Bij ons is er veel misluk met zaaien dit jaar. Hier was het gistern 36 graden. Fijn weekend. Groetjes.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenIt's cool here and I'm looking forward to the heat. What a beautiful and amazing flower!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenPrachtig Aritha. Wat weet jij toch altijd bijzonder mooie plaatjes met verhalen erbij te maken😀
BeantwoordenVerwijderenNature has a way of surprising us. It is quite hot here as well and my cyclamen - the ultimate winter flower - is suddenly blooming.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenAmalia
xo
Ik kende hem nog niet, maar ik vind het werkelijk prachtig! En wat bijzonder dat hij zich op zo'n hete dag voor het eerst ontvouwde!
BeantwoordenVerwijderen