vrijdag 19 januari 2024

Spikkel & Vlek: A Tale of Two Dutch Beauties!

This time, it's in English! Thanks to my followers who use Google Translate to read my blog. Big thanks to you all!

🧩 Simple puzzle time! Check out these two pics: a gorgeous creature, but standing a bit too close for the full view. 😂💨 I bet, once you spot its head in that beautiful late afternoon light, you'll know exactly what it is. 

 😊 What's your guess? 


Dutch Meadow Buddies
His name is Spikkel. I say "his" name because, well, I might have been a bit too quick to check or...whoops! And his buddy goes by the name of Vlek. Vlek was chilling a bit further away in the meadow, posing like a superstar for the perfect snapshot. Oh wait, I almost forgot to showcase his head. Look, here is Spikkels head. Isn't he handsome? 

I don't know how to translate the Dutch names: maybe Speckle and Stain? In Dutch, "spikkel" is pronounced as "spik-kel," with the 'i' pronounced like the 'i' in "pit" and the 'e' as in "us." And... "Vlek" is pronounced as "vlekh," with the 'e' pronounced like the 'e' in "shelves," and the 'k' as a hard 'k,' similar to the 'k' in the English word "skirt.

Napping, Munching, Loving Spikkel & Vlek
Every time I cycle down the narrow path to the woods, I'am greeting them. Sometimes they're peacefully napping, other times they're munching away. I even caught one of them lying down once. They don't seem to do much lying down, in my observation. I've given them these names simply because I've grown fond of them. 


Pixabay Fame & Meadow Charm
Once, I snapped a pic of these pals on a misty morning, and it's been used a bunch on Pixabay. Today's shots might not be Pixabay material, but hey... they fit perfectly on my blog.

Vlek's Winter Grazing
Look, this is the other one: Vlek. He grazes near a farm, and the sun was shining so beautifully on him. He casually nibbles on some tasty grass peeking out from under the snow. Or is he perhaps enjoying a snowy snack itself? 

🌨️🐴😄



Bye Spikkel & Vlek
I only stopped for five minutes to snap a few photos. Then quickly pedaled away. Until next time! 🚲📷😊

25 opmerkingen:

  1. OH, those are such beautiful horses! Thank you for sharing them with us!! I love seeing them, especially in the snow! This was wonderful!!! Thank you!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thank you, Pam, and thank you so much for all the comments on my blogs. I really appreciate that.

      Verwijderen
  2. Dearest Aritha,
    Spikkel en Vlek or Speckle and Stain...
    Enjoy your winter views.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Dank je wel voor de hug, digitale knuff terug. Leuk zijn ze hè, die paarden. Ik wens je een fijne zaterdag daar-zo-ver-weg

      Verwijderen
    2. Een verdrietige omdat we gisteren onze Speckie girl verloren...

      Verwijderen
  3. Oh, wow! I couldn't quite guess. I thought maybe a dog. 🐶

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Yesss, that could work too, if you only saw the first photo. I only had my telephoto lens with me, and the horse was too close. So, hence these two puzzle pieces. 🐴😄

      Verwijderen
  4. Delightful photos! I absolutely adore horses but only get to see them if we go out to the countryside. In another life I would like to have one, or two or three :))) Thank you for sharing these sweet animals.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thank you, Denise! Yesss, I would also love to have a horse. But I think it's more of a childhood dream (just like yours). As a child, I wanted horse riding lessons, but my parents wouldn't allow it. Probably because it was too expensive. Horses are cool, aren't they? I would really like to know what "breed" these horses are. 🐴😊

      Verwijderen
  5. Reacties
    1. Yesss, that way I get to see something on my way to the forest. Just like you with the cows in your area. I hope the snow lessens soon, and you can enjoy your morning walks again. ❄️🌳😊

      Verwijderen
  6. Very nice fotos of the horses in the snow. Spikkel is a nice name. Klingt so fröhlich.
    Alles Liebe
    Violetta

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Yesss, I also think that the name Spikkel sounds good to you because of the similarity between our languages, right? I find it a nice name. And it also reminds me of a sprinkle that we put on the cake: same name. Like: can I have some spikkels on the cake? 😊 Lieve groeten terug.

      Verwijderen
  7. At first, I had no idea. Love the beautiful horses. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Eileen, it's such a nice link, yours. So, thanks for hosting and for responding. 🌟😊

      Verwijderen
  8. Lovely pictures of the horses in the snow. They have wonderful markings on their coats both up close and from a distance.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Thank you so much for your nice comment, glad to meet you! And I love horses too. First picture, I thought on Pippi Langstrumpf. Her Horse has points too.

    To your question: woolen socks are best, in my opinion.

    Have a very nice weekend ... without cold feets.

    Hugs by Heidrun

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Beautiful photos! The horses looks so pretty. Nice that it comes a little snow at your place too 🌨

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Beautiful captures of the lovely horses!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. Mooi Aritha, je fotos van je winterwandeling zijn ook mooi.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. I love beautiful horses and it's hard not to stop to get a closer look! Thanks for sharing!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. Beautiful horses! Thanks for sharing their charm.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. Prachtige paard, hier hebben we ook zo paarden staan.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  16. Oh, they are so beautiful! I love horses.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  17. Love your photos! The horse is stunning.
    Thanks so much for sharing these lovely photos with Sweet Tea & Friends this month sweet friend.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Thanks for dropping in, hope your day's going fine!

♥ Aritha ♥